DIY: cereal box art station

My daughter's art supplies have been a source of contention between me and my very organized husband.  Seems they are all over the house.  Of course they're mostly resting on tops of book cases, shelves, and generally anywhere there is space that is out of her reach.  Why can't we just keep everything in one area?

Today I decided enough was enough and built an art station to house her markers, stickers, and papers.




For this project I used a cereal box, two macaroni boxes, a skin care box, and a waffle box.  But anything you can piece together will do!


First I cut the boxes to roughly the sizes I wanted for this project.


Because one of the boxes was a little larger than the others I needed to shrink it down.  I did this by creating new fold lines on two of the sides and reattaching with lots of tape so I wouldn't lose too much structural integrity.


Next, I taped together the boxes I'm using for the front.  (Here I will store stickers, paintbrushes, pens, scissors, etc.)


I thought about using wrapping paper for this project but I didn't have any around that I liked.  Instead, I decided to use my daughter's drawings.   She has so many why not put them to good use?


Here I've wrapped the cereal box.  To get a nice finish, I clipped little triangles out of the corners before tucking and taping the flaps inside.


At this point I didn't know how to attach the rest without a little bit of tape showing.  Because it's clear it doesn't bother me.  I used it to firmly secure the remaining boxes to the bottom by wrapping a few pieces all away around the base.


Then I wrapped away!


Gosh, it's so much nicer than having stickers and markers all over the place!


Not bad for thirty minute's work, eh?  And it was FREE!  Gosh...all of the possibilities.