DIY: $16 maternity coat!


I've never experienced pregnancy in winter before so I was more than a little shocked when I discovered maternity coats were averaging a couple hundred dollars!  I'm not sure why when I really think about it.  My good winter coat cost more than that.  At any rate, I can't afford to pay that amount for something I'm only going to use for a few months, so I decided to make my own!  I found this wonderfully warm down coat at the thrift store for $16.  It was a few sizes too big, very basic, and absolutely perfect for an upcycle like this!


To get a good idea of fit for my last weeks of pregnancy, I started by stuffing my bra and the waistband of my maternity jeans with extra padding.  Because everything grows.  Then I flipped the coat inside out, put it on, zipped it up (a little harder to do that way, but manageable) and started pinning.  The arms of this coat were too wide for my liking and the bust area was too big.  It was easier for me to guess where the pins needed to go and to pin the coat while it was off.  Then I put it back on to see if the sizing was correct.

Once I determined the arm and bust measurements were to my liking, I began sewing!

Next came the messy bit - trimming the edges.  Once I finished snipping I pulled excess feathers away from the seam.  ***I recommend cutting over newspaper or something you don't mind throwing away to make cleanup easier.

Once most of the feathers were picked away I finished the edges with a zigzag stitch.  You could also use a serger.

Next I flipped the coat right side out and put it back on.  Did it look and feel right on top?  Was I satisfied?  Yes!  Time to work on the portion below the belly.  I flipped the coat inside out again, put it on, and played with the fit.  The bottom of the coat needed to be taken in a considerable amount, so I marked and pinned it.  ***Note how it tapers at the bottom.  This is to give the belly a nice silhouette. No one likes to look like a balloon when they're pregnant!

Once I was satisfied with the fit, I sewed, trimmed, and finished the edges as shown in the steps above.

Almost there!

After flipping the coat right side out I marked two points on the back where I thought a belt might fit nicely.

The belt was easy!  I used leftover black elastic and simply attached it to a buckle clip.  I made sure to leave a little extra room in the waist for those last weeks when I feel like I'm the size of an elephant.

Next I decided to attach the belt to the midpoint between the two markings on the back of the coat.  This way I don't lose it.  I lose enough 'stuff' around the house with pregnancy brain as it is.  Why not make life a little easier?


And...drumroll please.  Here it is!  My $16 maternity coat!  Tada!


I just love the fit!  I think it looks pretty nice, too!


To summarize:
  • I narrowed the arms
  • took in the bust
  • took in the portion below the belly to create a nice silhouette
  • added a little belt


Now, go and find yourself a nice thrifter-of-a-coat and send me pictures of your transformations!






UPDATE  MARCH 31st, 2013:  I wore this coat all winter and let me tell you, it was perfect!  I have since given birth to a wonderful little boy and found the coat to be perfect post-baby, too.  Here are a couple pictures of the coat in action since I posted this tutorial.  They're not great but it's proof I've loved this coat to bits!