DIY: fun with contact paper and a diaper box

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a habit of collecting boxes.  Why not just get baskets?  Baskets are durable and they probably last longer.  It's mostly because I am trying to use what I already have.  It's my way of being green, I suppose.  Plus I should mention I have a two year old who likes to tear things apart.  It's not such a big deal if this box gets dinged and dented.  



* If you own IKEA storage units, like the one pictured above, Huggies wipes boxes are a perfect fit! I can put my daughter's books and toys inside and peek in to see the contents without having to remove the whole box.  I love that!  

I'm sure you could use wrapping paper or even fabric to cover the thicker, sturdier boxes.  I used contact paper from the local dollar store.  It's great because on the back of the roll is a grid for accurate measuring and cutting.  This comes in handy if you use a patterned print like I did.  

Supplies are simple:  scissors and contact paper.  I needed one and 1/2 rolls for this big box.


You'll have to watch for bubbles like these.  I just detached the paper, pulled, and smoothed any bubbles as I moved around the box.


If you're using a pattern you'll probably want to line it up nicely.


I decided not to cut the flaps on top (in case I want to use the box for packing at a later date) and instead decided to cover them and tuck them inside.


If you're going to tuck them in, make sure you loosen the contact paper, tuck the sides down, then refasten.  Otherwise the tension will cause the contact paper to snap, like this.  (I later repaired it)


Wow, what a difference!